Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hilarious Incidents We Delhi Metro Commuters Will Never Forget

The Delhi Metro is hailed as the lifeline of the capital. It's hard to imagine how people travelled in Delhi a decade ago with no metro trains around. Imagining taking 2 hours while changing three buses to reach destination! The metro rail is bliss for office goers, students, and shopaholics; just hop on to a metro train and travel comfortably in an air conditioned coach that will take you to work right on time on most days of the year.

There are certain unwritten rules of the Delhi metro that every daily commuter knows by heart. You will never find a place to sit during office hours, Rajiv Chowk is where the entire population of Delhi seems to gather when you most desperately need to get on a metro, and the Dwarka-Noida metro track will definitely have a technical snag if it rains in Delhi for more than 10 minutes.




I have got some real incidents that happened on the Delhi Metro that are funny, embarrassing, and will evoke a few giggles every time you read them.





You must always look perfect! “It happens every day, the moment the train enters the underground tunnel after  Qutb Minar  station, every girl in the compartment looks up and checks herself in the window (which has turned into a mirror because of the darkness outside). The whole thing is spontaneous, perfectly synchronized and independent of the rush”. 

Never mess with an angry woman. “This happened to one of my friend  at  Noida Sector  18. An angry lady was on the phone and entered the train. Everyone started starting at her. Just as the prompter was announcing that eating inside the train is prohibited, she opened a pack of Lay’s. The guy next to her stared at her again. This time she retorted "Aapko bhi chahiye kya?" And everyone looked away.”

It isn’t always a good day. “I had to go in the other direction from the platform I was on. I figured it was only 2 stations to the terminating station where the train would reverse its direction in my favour and I would be assured a definite seat. So I entered the last coach of the metro, found a seat and plugged in the earphones. On the reverse journey after the last station, I noticed only ladies were getting in but didn't bother. After 4 stations or so, a girl sitting opposite me got my attention and mouthed "women's coach". Had to stand for next 8 stations!”.

“I was on the Delhi metro sometime in January  this year waiting to make my way towards the door  when we arrived at Rajiv Chowk during the rush hour.  Rajiv Chowk is of course, the most crowded metro station in Delhi. I arrived at Rajiv Chowk and just  a  few seconds before the doors opened  to let one crowd out and another in, two guys near  the door  shouted 'Spartans! Prepare for glory!'”.

Here’s something we’ve all done at least once. “After the announcement, ‘DOORS WILL OPEN ON THE LEFT,’ I see people raising their hands to check which their left/right hand is!”.

“I once got a seat when I boarded the metro at Rajiv Chowk. Does that count as weird or funny?” Definitely counts as weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment